I whisper your name (ayradyss) wrote,
I whisper your name

  • Mood:

The lull between patients...

Selected two induction patients to follow for the night. Both are pleasant and cheerful and happy to see me. Neither, considering my luck, will deliver before lectures at 7 AM tomorrow.
Angel got the cell phone plans switched over, and so now I have unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited calling to phones within the plan (between us, in other words), and the 400 anytime minutes we previously were chewing through at double time when we called each other. That should fix our little minute problem, as now I don't have to feel guilty about talking to him before 2100.
His work had problems. I'm not going to say what they were, as I don't think he wants the world to know, but it's a sort of unnerving thing to have happen, and I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Every time I'm on the labor board, nothing happens. Every time Scott's on call it's hopping. I've been on call twice now, and I still don't know where the call rooms are, he complained to me this morning.

Yesterday: Forgot my white coat in the morning. Not a problem, except I was in clinic and the pants I keep in my locker for clinic have no pockets. And then I forgot my stethoscope going over to clinic.
I had lectures at 12:30. I was going to read for them in the hour before clinic. I scrubbed in on a C-section instead, with Dr. C, who is back from her week-long vacation and being wonderful to me. So I was unprepared for Dr. D-P, who is the sister of the Colts' coach, but managed to stumble through her questions anyway.
I begged out of clinic in the afternoon, to go work the L&D board. FOUR patients labouring. The resident told me to go follow the two furthest along. I spent the afternoon getting to know them. I stepped out for 10 minutes for a potty break, came back, and the other two had bloody well delivered.
Around about 4, when I would normally hand the board over to Scott-on-call, I was in the room of one of my patients, stretching the perineum as she pushed, knowing that the doctor responsible for her was the type to let me do the delivery. Getting excited that I might have my second vaginal delivery to mark off. And then, just after I txtmessaged Angel to tell him I would be very late for dinner, the doctor decided to do forceps. Dr. R, the resident, stepped in to assist. Cry. I got dinner with Angel, at the price of a delivery.
As I said, the whole bloody day was anticlimactic.

Today, I nearly forgot my white coat. I did forget my umbrella. It rained. Was in clinic in the morning, on the board all afternoon - which is when I got to see the two twin C-sections. It has now quieted down significantly; only four women in for inductions (may take a very long time) and one coming into triage. Speaking of which...I should go see about that.
Livejournal needs an Indianapolis phone post number so I can call from my little call room.

  • On the Road...

    We'll be heading out on Saturday for a month-long mission trip to Papua New Guinea. Committed to trying to blog daily while there - will be sharing…

  • Drive-By posting: Miriam

    In case anyone is wondering what my daughter is up to these days, here she is! In other news, today was an ER day from hell, and I'm going to bed…

  • (no subject)

    Sauntered in at 0730 with the intention of meeting fellowship director, who gives a lie to the old-dogs-new-tricks mantra, for a little chat about…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded